The older two boys share a bedroom which we made from two small bedrooms about five years ago. Life happened and it kind of lingered not-quite-done.
On a whim, I had them clean (it took All. Day.) and then we swept and got to work. All remnants of cream to brown paints were dumped into a 5 gallon Lowes bucket and stirred until I liked how it looked. I think in all, we used up about 8 part empty paint cans which was a wonderful feeling. Less clutter on my paint shelf!
The floor was painted a few years back and as hard as my boys play, I knew re-painting it was a hopeless cause. I did have a plain sisal rug which spent time in our living room and had stains. Painter's tape, scrap paper and two cans of dark brown spray paint later and it had new life and new home in the boy's room.
The boys hooked up the air compressor for me and Aiden kept me stocked with nails in the air nailer whenever I shouted that, "hey, I'm out of ammo!" and with the compound miter saw humming and nailer popping, we finished the window casings, crown and floor mouldings.
At this point I banned the boys from the room. New bed frames (Wally-world online with free delivery), some time on the sewing machine sewing curtains for four windows and two pillow cases (fabric from Jo-ann's), freezer paper stencil artwork for above their beds ($3 yard sale bulletin boards)and a freehand Yoda on an old canvas and most of the room was done. Simple bedding, I found at Target ($40 for it all) and also came across a clearance steel outdoor table ($16) which made me go, "hmmm..." and back to the toy department for a lego panel I had seen.
Home with some super glue and a Lego table was born.
Black bins (Target also) on shelves hold their clothes.
They loved my HGTV-esque reveal and altogether it cost about $300.